Saturday, July 6, 2013

Scrappy Post Run Lunch

Just walked in from a run and I want something super quick, filling but not too filling so that it undoes my run! The fridge is getting a bit bare and there are not a lot of "ready to eat" food in there. I search around and find.

-Bread
-Last bit of tomato sauce
-tomato
-onion
-some mozzarella P's brother brought from Trader Joe's
-zucchini
-salad fixings
- last two veggie "meat" balls I made for dinner last week

Before
The veggie "meat" balls are something I have been experimenting with. I made them by mixing black beans, carrots, onions, corn and bread crumbs. I was poaching from veggie burger recipes and they called for about cup of bread crumbs, but I only had about 1/4 of a cup, so in an attempt to keep the veggie "meat"  balls together I added some falafal mix. But then I added too much water and had to add in even more mix, this was a disappointment because the falafal ended up taking over the other flavors, still good, just not what I wanted. I cooked them in the toaster oven and served them with pasta for dinner and had a few left over in the fridge.

Looks like I will be making a veggie "meat" ball sandwich! The veggie "meat" balls go on the bread, topped with the last bit of pasta sauce, next goes the zucchini strips, tomatoes and onions and it all gets topped with the mozzarella. Into the toaster oven it goes. As it heats up I make a quick side salad of greens, artichoke hearts and the veggies that didn't fit on the sandwich.

While the veggie "meat" balls where not exactly what I wanted the other night they really are perfect for this sandwich and the tomato sauce ties all the flavors together. Mixed with the veggies it makes a hearty lunch, but I don't feel like I'm ruining my run! Time to refuel.
After and just want I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment