Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pasta?

Some weekdays I get really ambitious with dinner. This was not one of those nights. Tonight I don't want to spend more than 30 minutes making dinner.  I know we have veggies from the farmers market but I have been having salads for lunch all week (yeah me!) and I want to make something more substantial for dinner.

What I have in the fridge.
-Spinach from the farmers market
-Tomatos
-Onions
-Garlic
-Artichoke hearts
-Salad greens from farmers market
-Half a mango
- Package of Shirataki Tofu noodles. P loves these. They don't really taste like real pasta, and you need to rinse them out of the package to get the, well...the slight fish smell off them when they come out of the package. Wow, I'm really selling these! I too was a bit apprehensive the first time we had them, but I powered through and followed the suggestions to rinse and then micro them for a few seconds and low and behold they are pretty tasty as a pasta subsitute! I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has walked by them in the store and said, "wonder what these are like?"
For some reason I always get "Fettuccine" style
So those are the ingredients I have tonight along with about 26 more minutes of kitchen time. I use some of the oil the artichoke hearts are packed in to sauté some onion and garlic. When the onions are soft I add in the "pasta", and let it soak up some of flavor of the hot oil.
We have a wonderful friend who takes us to Costco
I'm going for a fresh veggie "pasta" dish, so I add in the tomato, spinach and artichoke hearts right at the end and only keep them on the heat for a few minutes to just warm them and not cook them all the way. I finish it off with a dash of salt and pepper

P was helping with Dale
My fresh veggie "pasta" is served with a green salad topped with mango. The "pasta" has a nice light sauce from some of the spinach and tomato liquid cooking off and mixing with the garlic onion oil and the artichokes add a nice acid balance. I always love a green salad on the side and the mango is a sweet treat. Best part is it only took about 20 minutes for dinner.
Caught in the act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment